Monday, July 20, 2009


If there's one thing about history that I find absolutely epic, It's famous quotes. The kind you just read and have a WHOA reaction because you gotta think about it for a while. Anyways, here's a collection of Roman quotations I really like.

Scipio Africanus (Defeated Carthage in second Punic wars)

-It is the part of a fool to say, I should not have thought.
-I'm never less at leisure than when at leisure, or less alone than when alone.

Augustus(First Emperor, although he never claimed to actually be emperor his entire reign. Also the month of August is named after him)

-I found Rome a city of bricks and left it a city of marble.
-I like treachery, but I cannot say anything good of traitors.
-Well done is quickly done

Marcus Aurelius

-A man's worth is no greater than his ambitions.
-Aptitude found in the understanding and is often inherited. Genius coming from reason and imagination, rarely.
-Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.
-Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature.
-Confine yourself to the present.

Julius Caesar

-Cowards die many times before their actual deaths.
-Experience is the teacher of all things.
-I came, I saw, I conquered.
-In war, events of importance are the result of trivial causes.
-No one is so brave that he is not disturbed by something unexpected.
-The die is cast.

Horace

-A picture is a poem without words.
-Adversity reveals genius, prosperity conceals it.

Cicero

-A friend is, as it were, a second self.
-A home without books is a body without soul.
-Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.
-Cultivation to the mind is as necessary as food to the body.

Justinian (Byzantine, but whatever)

-Rather let the crime of the guilty go unpunished than condemn the innocent.

No comments:

Post a Comment